Tuesday, October 16, 2007

my first CEBU TOUR!!!

I haven’t really made a tour of Cebu for the sole purpose of touring the city. It has always been going to the mall to buy my groceries or to Colon to buy DVDs or to Fuente to withdraw cash from the bank. But today I and a few colleagues went off for an unplanned tour after our shift. It was officially my first valid tour to date after almost two months of my stay in Cebu.
We ended our shift at 4:30 but my friend Bem still had to wrap up his final call so we had to stay a while longer to wait for him. Sigrid, another colleague, waited with us. Everyday, she does carpooling using her pick-up truck. She does it for half the team I’m in so today she stayed for her usual passengers. (Thanks Sigrid!). And so off we went without a plan of going beyond our usual destinations until Sigrid blurted she is going to Carbon, Cebu’s flea market. Haven’t been to Carbon yet, I said can we go with her. Well, Sigrid, the fine lady that she is said yes! And we had a whole lot of fun touring – Sigrid, Bem, Moby, Thunderdoodz and me!!

CARBON - THE ULTIMATE FLEA MARKET!



























First stop, Carbon. It was a feast for the eyes. At so early a time, the place is bustling with people doing their stuff – well what else but selling and buying! Fruits and vegetables of all kinds are displayed along sidewalks at very cheap prices. It is the ultimate marketplace I’ve ever been – and what I’ve only seen is the veggie and fruit section yet! A small procession of a Sto. Nino statue passed by while the devotees sang unfamiliar hymns. People are oblivious of the procession like its nothing new. I felt weird because as I looked around it seemed to me like I’m the only one noticing it. When the small procession faded into the thick crowd, my eyes are back feasting on the fruits and veggies around. My friends bought mangoes, lanzones, malunggay, rambutan and eggplants. I bought a piece of ampalaya because it’s a favorite even though I still have to figure out how to cook it (LOL!). Bem also bought me an apple (thanks Bem!). I took a few pictures before we went off but careful enough while doing it because someone might jump from the back and grab my phone. Lucky enough no one did!

FUERZAS DE SAN PEDRO














After the Carbon trip Bem suggested we drop off at Fuerzas de San Pedro ( Fort San Pedro. It is located at Plaza Indepencia which is just a few blocks away from Carbon. Unfortunately, the fort opens at 7 AM. We were like an hour and 15 minutes early and so we just took our pictures outside the fortress but vowed we will return to tour what’s within the three walls ( Yes, it is triangular!). It was built in 1565 or about 442 years ago and is of triangular in shape with the fortress itself built on solid stone and mortar. I still have to research for additional facts when we could get inside for a crash Cebu History 101. Bem, a history fan, was but amazed how it still stands after centuries with all the storms, wars, deluge and changes it witnessed.


STO. NINO BASILICA OF CEBU




























Third stop? The Basilica del Sto. Nino de Cebu ( I hope I got that right). Before we went in we checked out Magellans’s Cross. The cross is said to be the original cross that Ferdinand Magellan erected on the island when he first set foot on Cebu soil in 1521. The original wood is actually encased by another to preserve it thus, what one would see is just the casing and not the original one. We took few pictures and marveled at the place. A few devotees were offering their prayers at the cross. On the ceiling is a painting depicting Magellan’s arrival on the island and the conversion of the locals to Christianity. Afer few more pictures we went inside to see the Basilica. I have been inside for a number of times already but it was Moby’s first. Moby is actually a Muslim but is very open in understanding other religions as well. We went inside with Sigrid giving us some trivia since she is a true-blue Sugbuanon. A must-see when you go to the Basilica is to kiss the Sto. Nino. It was still very early and the first mass was ongoing so there aren’t a lot of people yet lining up to give homage to the Sto. Nino at a grotto located at the rear end of the church. The Sto. Nino is in fact the country’s oldest patron when Magellan brought the statue from Spain and gave it to the locals as a gift. Legend has it that when the village was burned, the Sto Nino’s statue did not succumb to the flames and was seen amongst the ashes unblemished. Another legend tells the statue has been unsuccessfully brought back to Spain time and again. It was said that everytime it was put in a wooden casing/box that would be shipped to Spain, the statue always ended up empty when it was opened and the Sto. Nino would be back at its original place. I was amazed by the stories I have heard. It truly is a matter of faith. Sigrid further told us of stories how the Sto. Nino has been seen walking amongst people in the fish section of Carbon. I find it hard to imagine but somehow half my heart believes the story. Undoubtedly though, I have my heart all colored with faith for the Sto. Nino. I simply do not need a miracle.























We took more pictures later at the Basilica’s garden. The pictures were awesome I wish I could post them all here. We walked back to the pick-up truck until I noticed Moby was missing. Moby offered prayers and asked the old ladies to say a prayer for him. One doesn’t have to pay them for the prayers, you only have to buy a few candles and they will dance and pray and ask for your intentions. I got goosebumps seeing Moby bowing his head because it just felt different really – a Muslim praying at a Catholic church!. Moby said later it made him miss his family and we all kinda thought that was sweet. We also had a few pics taken before we went off at a stall nearby selling guitars of all sizes, Sto. Nino statues of different clothing, size, and skin color and burloloy (native accessories). Cebu is known for its cheap but quality guitars and it was such a beautiful sight to see the music instrument hanging on a stall along a city street. It was so….hmmmm, very Cebu!!!
After the tour we were so hungry we ate at McDonald’s, the branch near the Crown Regency Hotel. I had a big breakfast – Franks and Egg with 2 rice and a large coke. Do I sound like I’m hungry? After talking a bit about politics and a few history tidbits thrown into the discussion we called it a day. Sigrid brought us home. It was already 7:30AM.
It was definitely the best way yet to start my day. Before I tucked myself to bed, I swore I will have more of the city. I’m loving Cebu!

No comments: