Monday, October 15, 2007

SIOMAI & PIRATED DVDs on a SUNDAY..ooops!

Yesterday, I went to Colon to buy DVDs. In the morning, I already planned on buying a movie to let the hours pass. Sundays are always a drag for me mostly because I am not such a big mall fan. While most take their exodus to the mall on weekends- to be entertained, to cool off or for other variety of reasons – I prefer to stay in my room and watch a movie. The movies at the mall are way too expensive for me. Though I love the moviehouse for its sound surround system and its big screen, I’d like to think I’m saving myself from crappy comments of another moviegoer beside me if I watch the same movie alone in the comfort of my room. So off I went to Colon.



Though the original plan was to buy one DVD, I ended up buying three. I usually buy it at P 60 but my huggling paid off and I bought three for P 50 each. Great buy, so I thought. There are a lot of new movies displayed on the racks of my newfound suki mostly commercial ones aimed to rake big bucks for the studio that produced them. I bought ‘This is England’, ‘Becoming Jane’ and ‘Chalk’. I hate to say this, but I love pirated DVDs. Of course I would have preferred the originals if they were cheaper. Also, not all great movies get to be shown at the malls. Indie films for instance do not stand a chance with Hollywood movies for a slot at a moviehouse. There are no theaters for art films here and movies of such genre are a hard find at video rental shops. Walk through Colon and you’ll be amazed how wide the movie genre and type of movies they have for sale. And it’s so unbelievably cheap.

After strolling through the length of the Colon area and checking some of its interesting shops, I went home. It was raining hard already. At last. It’s been so long since the last time it rained here in Cebu. I took my jeep and just when I was seated, I remembered I still haven’t eaten dinner and it’s 9PM already. I lost track of time. When I got off the jeep I bought siomai at Siomai sa Tisa – five pieces for P6 each - at a branch a few steps away from where I live. I had a nice meal and took a picture of the siomai neatly tucked in my bowl because I knew Siomai sa Tisa is a great story to tell.

SIOMAI sa TISA


Siomai sa Tisa is a must-taste if you visit Cebu. I assure you it’s one of the best siomai you’ll bump into. Originally, Siomai sa Tisa came from, well, Tisa – a sitio of Labangon, Cebu City (thanks Barbs for the info, this better be right..haha!). The locals make the famed siomai and its amazing how homes seating side-by-side share the same livelihood - siomai. The popularity of the siomai paved way for stalls around Cebu selling the cheap but delicious food. Since Tisa is quite distant from the heart of the city, the stalls are a convenient way to buy the tasty siomai. It’s funny how each stall still carries the name Tisa when it is outside Tisa (the place) already. For instance, I bought mine last night at Siomai sa Tisa – Banawa Branch! That’s how popular Siomai sa Tisa is! So if you get to visit Cebu, keep off the mall at times, there a lot to discover on its streets – the delicious Siomai sa Tisa for one!

It’s PAYDAY!

I woke up late today – almost oneo’clock in the afternoon and I haven’t even started watching my movies just yet so I have no stories to tell about them for now. I could hear the rain pattering on the roof. It’s payday I remembered and I gotta withdraw a little cash for my rent. Inday, not the subject of the amusing series of text jokes but the maid of the owner of my apartment, halted my more than 10 hours of sleep with her knocking on my door to remind me of my rent. So I really had to get my ass off my bed. But first, I did this article on my laptop, picked a clean shirt and rushed to the bank. Yup, I write my article first on my laptop, save it in my flash drive, drop by a net café and post it on my blog. I don’t have the internet – poor me. Haha. It’s a luxury for me unless of course my blogging is supported by ads or anything, I would immediately get my laptop wired to the web. Maybe soon but errr, not too soon.Haha

No comments: