Monday, March 24, 2008

CAUGHT

I crossed the street when the walk sign turned green. I quickly hopped on a jeep when the lady in front of me grabbed my arm and pointed at a traffic enforcer blowing his whistle. I was boggled because from afar he appeared to be staring at me. i took off my earphones and checked if indeed he was eyeing at me. i was in a rufus wainwright trance and it pissed me thinking i was cut off by some lady who could very well be a snatcher for all i know. but she wasn't. i was told by the driver to step out of his jeep - i never felt so humiliated but i did. the traffic enforcer waved at me so i grabbed my bag of groceries - stiff, confused of what wrong i have done. i walked to his direction.

"Sa sunod gali dili ka mag ipod-ipod sa da'an (Cebuanos are too lazy to pronounce the letter L) aron kung tawgon ka dali ka makadungog", the man in CITOM shirt apprehended me. I asked why? Is this a new ordinance of the City of Cebu? Is Ipod now illegal in public places?...thoughts kept on racing.

"Unsa man, mubayad na lang ka'g singkwenta or paseminaron ta ka ug upat ka oras?", he asked. It felt like a threat. Like I didn't have a choice. And i didn't know what seminar he meant. People were looking at us and i could feel sweat running down my spine. I wanted to melt and become one with the asphalt road I was standing on. Paying the fine seemed the quicker alternative to get me out of such a very uncomfortable situation.

I asked why again. He gave me a ticket. I paid him 50 pesos. The ticket didn't bear my name.

For the first time, I was caught in Cebu City for 'UNLAWFUL EMBARKMENT'. It was also the first time I received a ticket for doing something illegal. I have always been a law-abiding citizen until that ticket came. I needed a seminar badly. I honestly didn't know it was illegal to hop on that jeep around that area of the avenues. I learned my lesson the hard way. Goodbye 50 bucks!



********the second time i'm caught, they will never know i'm a two-time offender. my name wasn't on the ticket and for sure there really isn't any way for them to know i guess. do i tell them? guess it will always be first time then.

1 comment:

Mike said...

50 pesos would not be enough to teach me a permanent lesson.