Tuesday, March 25, 2008

EASTER AWAY FROM HOME

GOOD FRIDAY



it's my first time to celebrate easter away from home. i have never felt so unreligious my entire life - letting Good Friday pass by at work and answering calls from the most irate Americans who couldn't care less aboutlent and are mor concerned about their financial woes in time when their economy is slowly crumbling down. it was utterly different from home. i'm not complaining but i would have loved to go home and climb Linabo Peak or join a procession. after work last Good Friday, two of my colleagues and I went to KFC for lunch. I had a two-piece chicken meal. I felt guilty after eating. Wsan't i supposed to be fasting? if i want to put it mildly, i couldve just settled with a piee of chicken drumstick. i'm not really religious but i value my traditions . i somehow feel it's a part of me. i felt it missing this year.

but wait! there's more......the Lord saved my Good Friday! after arriving at my dungeon, i change clothes and went to Colon to buy a sun card - i have to do my duties as a son to call my mom nd at least let her know i'm still alive. it's been over a week i haven't called home. the trip to Colon were full of surprises. first, i left my wallet and noticed i left it when i'm about to pay the card (the embarrassment, sigh). I had with me my coin purse with a few pennies just enough for fare back to my place. i wasn't able to buy the prepaid card. instead, i went to church in flip-flops and casual shorts. at the sto. nino basilica, i spent a few moments amongst the horde of people praying and, with the looks of their faces, trying to purge their sins. i said a small prayer and so hoped i could be a better Christian this year - i sincerely do. a busload of Koreans could be seen marvelling at how we worship. many were on their knees praying (not the Koreans of course, hehehe), others listening to a live telecast of 'siyete palabras' while some are just lounging inside the church - maybe feeling the need to be where most people are right now. the Koreans could be seen smiling and posing with their V-signs just about in every corner of the basilica. manang beside me was pissed, whimpered a few inaudible words and gave that what-the-heck-are-you-doing?-can't-you-see-the-Lord-is-dead look. i left the basilica at 3PM. the Lord has died.




i went to the nearby Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral - a block away from the Basilica. i found out the 'siyete palabras' was telecast live at the cathedral. Cardinal Vidal gave the last words of the series of pious speakers. i was glad i was able to make it to the last part - it was my first time to hear the cardinal. ( the controversial cardinal is leader of what Lozada mockingly described as 'Archdiocese of Malacanang') Cardinal Vidal also led the mass together with a couple of priests and a bunch of singing seminarians. It was my first mass this year - i couldn't believe it. I'm also not proud of it.Hmmm, it has always been church visits and I'm glad I was there. It was also my first communion this year.




************* I don't have the best photos but i sure do want to let you witness what i saw.

EASTER SUNDAY

after work, my workmates (5 of them) went to Ayala for a lechon feast. I'm pretty sure lechon is on almost ever table at the beach back home. it almost felt like home, only we were seeing people piling up to see 'Horton Hears a Who?' instead of soaking in the water.



On my way home,we passed by the Redemptorist Church. I took a few photos while stuck in traffic inside Sigrid's pick-up. the sun was setting then and we were worn out after over 5 hours of whining about our jobs. it's a favorite pastime - hahaha - and a stress-reliever. we know we can't fight it, so we whine and whine more. it's a good thing though that after each discussion, everyone agrees it's healthy practice....at least for us..

1 comment:

lainee said...

I hadn't observed Lent at all. No ash wednesday, no holy week... only Easter Sunday. At least, I guess.
Ana jud tingali pag mag inusara na (without the family to influence you in religious activities).